Looking for an easy way to set up Instagram shopping? With 60% of its users saying they discover new products on Instagram, it’s an effective way to engage with your customers.
Setting up Instagram Shopping in both Instagram and your website encourages your customers to easily click on links to buy your products directly from you. That’s why in this article, we’ll show you how you can simply set up Instagram Shopping, even if you’re not a technical person.
Before we go into the specifics, let’s find out exactly what Instagram Shopping is. Or you can click here to skip ahead to the tutorial.
What is Instagram Shopping?
Instagram Shopping allows you to combine your product catalog and pricing with your Instagram account. By tagging products on your shoppable posts, you can promote your products directly to Instagram users to increase your sales.
Right now, Instagram Shopping feature allows you to tag up to 5 products per image, or up to 20 products per multi-image post.
For example, users browsing your Instagram account can see your post with a View Products icon on it.
Once they tap on the icon, they can see the name and price of the products tagged in the post. If they continue tapping, they’re directed to a link to visit your website so they can buy your product.
This buying experience sounds perfect, doesn’t it? But is setting up Instagram Shopping the best fit for your business? Let’s find out by talking about its advantages and disadvantages below.
Pros and Cons of Setting Up Instagram Shopping
Setting up Instagram Shopping has several advantages:
- Easier buying experience: Once Instagram users taps on your product, they can see its details and price. Tapping again automatically directs them to your website, where they can buy your product and finish the e-commerce transaction via checkout.
- Higher chances of users buying from you: When you tag a product in a post, it’s included in Instagram’s Shopping Explore tab. You can also put your shoppable posts on your Instagram stories. Since Instagram users spend 85% of their time exploring new products, they can see your shoppable Instagram image while they’re in “buying mode”.
Now that you know its benefits, it’s time to make shoppable posts, right?
Not yet, actually. You need to set up Instagram Shopping for your account first.
Before you can do so, let’s talk about its several disadvantages, too:
- Limited availability to businesses: Not all brands can set up Instagram Shopping for their account. You need to pass Instagram’s requirements first.
Instagram’s Requirements to Set Up Instagram Shopping
- Have the latest version of the Instagram app.
- Convert your Instagram account into a business profile.
- Be an admin on a Facebook page or Business Manager account.
- Have a product catalog connected with a Facebook shop for your Instagram shop.
- Follow all of Instagram’s commerce policies.
Passing Instagram’s requirements isn’t the only challenge:
- Limited to selling allowed physical goods only: If you’re a service-centered business, you can’t use Instagram Shopping to showcase the services you offer. Only physical products are allowed.
- Not all countries have Instagram Shopping eligibility: If your business isn’t in the following countries, you can’t make shoppable Instagram posts. So, your Instagram posts can’t have tagged products.
- Instagram controls the way you sell: If you don’t meet Instagram’s requirements, you can’t sell on their platform. Also, you may get approved at first, but if they believe that you’ve failed to meet their requirements, they can disable your account at any time.
Can You Set Up Instagram Shopping on Your Website?
Now, reading about these cons may cause you to ask: “Since it’s hard to tag my products on my Instagram account, can I easily add shoppable Instagram images on my website instead?”
If your business isn’t located in Instagram’s list…
Or if you’re not qualified, or your account is not approved by Instagram…
Or if you want to have total control over the way you sell to your customers…
Then, yes. There’s another way you can create shoppable Instagram posts — effortlessly set it up on your website by using an easy-to-use WordPress plugin.
2 Methods to Set Up Instagram Shopping
Want to know how to set up Instagram shopping? You can make shoppable Instagram posts on:
- Your Instagram account: You need to meet Instagram’s requirements and apply and wait for their approval first. Then, you create a shoppable feed on your Instagram account where images in your feed link to your website; or,
- Your own website: Using a WordPress plugin, you can set up Instagram shopping on your site by making a shoppable feed on your website. Shoppable images have links that people can click on to buy your products. Since you’ll display the shoppable feed on your website, you can control the links that people click on to buy from you.
How to Turn On Instagram Shopping on Your Instagram Account
Once you’ve applied and Instagram has successfully approved your account, you can turn on the product-tagging feature from the Instagram app by following the steps below:
- Go to your Instagram business account and tap
- Tap Settings, then tap Business
- Then, if your account is approved for Instagram Shopping, tap Shopping. If your account isn’t approved, you won’t see this.
- Tap Continue to select a product catalog to connect to your business account.
- Finally, tap Done to turn on Instagram Shopping for your account.
Now that you’ve turned on Instagram Shopping for your account, you can start tagging your products in your posts on Instagram.
How to Tag Products in Instagram Posts
To make shoppable Instagram posts where you can tag products, follow the steps below:
- Go to your Instagram business profile. Create a new post and add a caption.
- Then, tap on Tag Products. After this, tap on the section of the photo where you want to place the product tag.
- Search for the product by typing its name on the search bar. Then, select it.
- Tap Done and finally, Share, to post it on your Instagram account.
Already know how to set up Instagram Shopping and tag products on your Instagram post? Great!
Let’s move on to setting up Instagram Shopping on your website, shall we?
How to Set Up Instagram Shopping on Your Website
Instead of making a shoppable feed on Instagram and linking them to your website, why not make a shoppable feed on your website and link them to another page on your site?
In this guide, we’ll show you how to use a WordPress plugin like Instagram Feed Pro to set up Instagram shopping on WordPress.
Even if you’re not an IT expert, you can easily display a shoppable feed on your website with the Instagram Feed plugin by Smash Balloon. Using this plugin, beginners love how easily they can customize how their Instagram feed looks like on their website, even without tackling codes or complicated settings.
With over 1,000,000 active users, the Instagram Feed plugin is the top choice of WordPress users in displaying Instagram content from their accounts on their websites. Also, with an average rating of 4.9, it’s the highest-rated Instagram feed plugin for WordPress.
Ready to display shoppable Instagram posts on your website? Follow the steps below:
Step 1: Install the Instagram Feed Plugin
To start, you can get your copy of Instagram Feed Pro here by downloading it to your computer.
Then, upload the plugin to your WordPress website and activate it. If you’re not sure how to do this, check out this step-by-step tutorial on how to install a WordPress plugin to your website.
Upon activation, visit the Instagram Feed » License page in your WordPress admin area to enter your license key.
You can find this information in the email you received from Smash Balloon upon successful purchase of the Instagram Feed Pro plugin.
Remember to click on the Save Changes button after activating your license key. Then, continue to the next step below.
Step 2: Connect Your Instagram Account (Business Profile)
On your WordPress dashboard, navigate to Instagram Feed » Settings. Click on the Connect an Instagram Account button.
You’ll be asked to choose between connecting your personal or business account. Choose to connect your business account to get access to more helpful features. Then, click Connect to confirm your choice. Simply follow the on-screen instructions to link your account to the plugin.
Now that you’ve connected your Instagram account, the next step is to choose which feed type you’d like to show.
Step 3: Choose to Show “User Account” in Your Feed Type
On the same page, choose the type of content you want to display. Since we’ll use the plugin to make a shoppable Instagram feed, select to display your User Account to show your latest Instagram posts. Then, click on Save Changes.
After this, the next step is customizing how your shoppable Instagram feed looks like.
Step 4: Customize Your Instagram Feed Settings
Scroll up to the top of the settings page, then click on the Customize tab. Under the Customize » General tabs, you can control the width, height and background color of your shoppable feed.
If you scroll down, you can also choose from 4 different layouts for your shoppable Instagram feed.
Choose from a standard grid with fixed square image sizes, scrolling carousel, masonry layout showing original photo sizes, or a highlight gallery showing specific photos larger in the feed.
To choose a layout type, click the radio button and click Save Changes to save your settings.
Step 5: Turn On the Shoppable Feed Option in Your Plugin
In a regular Instagram feed, when a user clicks on your Instagram photo, they’re directed to your Instagram account.
In a shoppable Instagram feed, though, when a user clicks on your Instagram photo, they’re directed to the link you want them to go to instead.
To turn on shoppable feed, scroll up to the top section of Instagram Feed Pro’s settings page. Navigate to Customize » Posts.
Under this tab, look for the Link Posts to URL in Caption option and make sure that it’s checked.
Remember to click on Save Changes so that the plugin remembers your chosen settings.
Step 6: Change Your Instagram Post Captions
To set up Instagram shopping on your website, you need to change your Instagram post caption as well. Instead of sentences, type in the link or the full URL of the page you want your Instagram post to link to.
If you want to edit your Instagram posts, just go to the Instagram post you’d like to edit, and tap the 3 dots on the upper right hand corner. A menu will appear, so tap on Edit.
Delete your original caption and replace it with the full URL of the page you want your post to link to. For example, whenever someone clicks on this post on your embedded Instagram feed, they’ll be directed to the URL you put in the post’s caption.
Now that you know a shoppable feed means website visitors can click your posts on your displayed Instagram feed and get directed to the URL you set up…
…the next step is all about embedding your Instagram feed on your website.
Step 7: Embed Your Shoppable Instagram Feed on Your Website
Since the plugin works seamlessly with WordPress, Smash Balloon’s Instagram Feed Pro plugin makes it pretty easy for you to display your shoppable Instagram feed on your website. With just a few clicks, you can add your shoppable Instagram feeds using:
- The Instagram Feed block: if you’re using the new WordPress block editor
- The Shortcode: if you’re using the classic WordPress editor
- The Instagram Feed WordPress widget: if you want to embed on your website’s sidebar
By following the steps below, you can display your feed on your website in under 5 minutes!
Displaying Your Shoppable Instagram Feed with the WordPress Block Editor
First, let’s talk about displaying your shoppable Instagram feed on a new WordPress page.
To start, navigate to Pages » Add New to create a new page.
You’ll then see a new page with the block editor. Here, click the Plus (+) icon to add a new WordPress content block. In the search field, type “instagram” to find the Instagram Feed block. Click it to add it to your content.
Once you add the block, your Instagram feed is automatically displayed on the editor. When you’re happy with how it looks like, don’t forget to click on Publish to make it live on your website.
Displaying Your Shoppable Instagram Feed with the WordPress Classic Editor
First, go to Instagram Feed » Settings. Scroll down until you see the Display Your Feed section. You can copy the shortcode here.
Once you’ve copied the shortcode, navigate to Pages » Add New to create a new page.
This time, a new page using the WordPress classic editor will open. Paste the Instagram feed shortcode here, as you can see below:
Once you’re done filling in the content you’d like, click on Publish to see your shoppable Instagram feed displayed on your website.
Displaying Your Shoppable Instagram Feed on Your Sidebar
You can also add a shoppable Instagram feed as a widget on your website’s sidebar. To do this, go to Appearance » Widgets from your WordPress dashboard. Then, drag the Instagram Feed widget over to your sidebar area.
Click on Save to make your Instagram feed active on your website’s sidebar area.
So, there you have it. Congratulations! You’ve just learned how to easily set up Instagram Shopping both on your Instagram account and on your website.
Now, you can offer your products directly to your customers by displaying a customizable Instagram shopping feed on WordPress.
What are you waiting for?
Interested in Instagram marketing? Check out this next post on the different types of Instagram posts proven to increase your sales.