Please note that creating your own Twitter App is optional when using the Custom Twitter Feeds plugin.
To create a Twitter App and collect the consumer token, consumer secret, access token, and access token secret associated with it just follow the steps below.
1) Go to apps.twitter.com and click on Sign In in the top right. Log in using your personal Twitter credentials.
Note: The personal Twitter account that you use to create a Twitter App does not need to be associated with user timeline or hashtag/search feeds you want to display. You can use the credentials to display any user timeline or hashtag/search feed. You will need the access token and access token secret from the account that you wish to display any home timelines from, however
2) If this is your first time creating an App on Twitter. You will see a button to “Create New App”
3) Fill out the top three “required” fields and check the box next to “Yes, I agree” to accept the developer agreement. Click the button “Create you Twitter application”.
Note: The “Website” field must be a fully qualified URL meaning that instead of “mywordpresssite.com”, you should enter “http://mywordpresssite.com”
4) Click on the “Keys and Access Tokens” tab.
5) Your Consumer Key and Consume Secret will be on this tab. You might need to click a button to create your Access Token and Access Token Secret further down the page. Copy these four fields to use back on the Twitter Feeds Settings page on your WordPress dashboard
6) Back in the dashboard for your WordPress site, navigate to Twitter Feeds > “Configure” tab. Check the box to reveal the four fields to manually enter my own Twitter app information. Paste in the appropriate keys/tokens. Click Save Changes.
Apply for Twitter App Developer Approval
7) Visit Twitter’s developer website here: https://developer.twitter.com/.
8) While logged-in to Twitter, click on the Apply link in the top right corner.
9) Follow the steps. Click Continue to proceed to the next step.
10) Fill out the details requested and click Continue again.
11) Fill out information about your use-case for your Twitter Feed as you see fit. Here is a basic example:
12) Agree to the terms and conditions and then click the email verification link sent to the email address associated with your Twitter account.
Stuck? You can also try contacting support for assistance.