If you receive an error message when trying to display your posts then you can use the table below to diagnose the issue and find the relevant solution.
Why are API requests being delayed?
If your website attempts to make several bad API requests in a short period of time, Instagram will temporarily block all requests from your website. To prevent this, the plugin will set a delay of 5 minutes until another API request is made. You can save your settings on the “Configure” tab to immediately try another API request.
I’m seeing error messages that no longer apply. Why is this?
The plugin will log API errors to help troubleshoot connection issues. Only some of these errors will clear on their own when the issue is resolved. If you’d like to reset these error messages, go to the “Support” tab and scroll past the “System Info” input area. Click the button to reset the error log. You can also save your settings on the “Configure” tab to clear hashtag related errors.
API Error 400: The access_token provided is invalid.
#1 – Your Access Token is either incorrect, invalid or expired
If your feed stops retrieving new posts your access token may have expired. This is something that Instagram does with no clear reason.
You can get a new access token on the “Configure” tab. Try clicking the big blue button labeled “Connect and Instagram Account”, or use the “Button not working?” link to get an access token on smashballoon.com that you can enter manually. If your access token frequently expires, try creating a business account using the steps in this FAQ and connecting your account as a business account.
Error: No posts found
- User feed: The account has no posts made on Instagram.com
- Recent hashtag feed: No posts have been made to this hashtag in the last 24 hours
- You are using a lot of IGTV posts in your feed – See below
- Issue with your Access Token – See API Error 400: The access_token provided is invalid
- Too much filtering with includewords, excludewords, whitelist, or blocking photos – See this FAQ
Your account has a lot of IGTV posts
Instagram does not yet support IGTV posts in its API. However, these posts are still counted in the API request even if they aren’t returned. This can lead to the plugin thinking there are no posts available if all recent posts are IGTV posts.
To fix this issue, go to the “Customize” tab inside the settings page for “Instagram Feed” and find the setting “API request size” and raise it to 25 or more depending on how often you use IGTV posts.
API error 24: The requested resource does not exist
- No public posts have been made with this hashtag. Once a post is made with this hashtag, this error will be resolved
API error 10: Application does not have permission for this action. Access token cannot be automatically refreshed.
- This is due to the account being set as “private” on Instagram. Private accounts need to be manually reconnected every 60 days in order to retrieve new posts.
Make your account “public” or remember to reconnect the account once every 60 days.
API error 100: Unsupported get request. Object with ID ‘xxxxxxxxxxxxx’ does not exist, cannot be loaded due to missing permissions, or does not support this operation.
- This is due to the Account ID not matching the authenticated account for the Access Token. A potential cause would be settings changes on Instagram/Facebook. Potential Causes:
– Changing the admin users of the related Facebook page
– Changing the password for the Instagram or Facebook account
– Changing your privacy settings for either Instagram or Facebook
– Changing settings related to App permissions for either Instagram or Facebook
You can reauthorize the Smash Balloon App by following this FAQ.
Note: If the error message is still displayed after doing this then try clearing the error log in the following location: Instagram Feed > Support > “Reset Error Log” button (at the bottom of the System Info section).
API error 190: Failed to decrypt.
API error 18: Limit of 30 unique hashtag searches per week has been reached.
- Instagram has a limit of 30 unique hashtag searches on a rolling weekly basis. If your site requires more than 30 hashtag feeds, you will need to create a second Facebook/Instagram business account and connect it on the “Configure” tab.
API error 1: An unknown error has occurred.
- Make sure that you are updated to the latest version of the plugin. If this error still appears, there may be a Facebook/Instagram API issue. Contact support.
API error 2: An unexpected error has occurred. Please retry your request later.
- There may be a temporary issue with Instagram/Facebook’s API. Try clearing your cache by saving your settings on the “Configure” tab. If the feed still isn’t updating after a few hours, contact support.
Connection Error: http_request_failed – cURL error 7: Failed to connect to api.instagram.com port 443: Connection refused
Usually they can fix this or make an exception for your site. Try contacting your host with a message like this:It looks like our Instagram plugin is encountering an error when trying to connect to the Instagram API. The developers asked us to contact you and mention that we are seeing the error http_request_failed – cURL error 7: Failed to connect to api.instagram.com port 443: Connection timed out when trying to make remote connections to api.instagram.com/.
Connection Error: http_request_failed – cURL error 6: Could not resolve host: graph.facebook.com
Connection Error: http_request_failed – cURL error 28: Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds
If this occurs when trying to connect an account, try reconnecting after 10 minutes or so. If this doesn’t resolve the problem or it’s intermittent, try contacting your host and mention that you are seeing this error when trying to connect to the Instagram API.An alternative solution is to try connecting as a “Business” account by following these instructions.
If you’re still having trouble displaying your posts after trying the common issues above then please contact support for assistance.
Still have questions? We are here to help you succeed.Open a support ticket