This guide outlines the process of creating an Instagram Access Token and User ID using our Instagram Access Token tool. This can be used if you have been asked to provide one for setting up a Instagram Feed on a website.
If you have been asked to provide an Access Token by your Web Developer or Web Content Manager to set up an Instagram Feed using our plugin, or if you, for any other reason, wish to create an Access Token to manually set up our plugin, you can follow these steps:
Note: if you change your password…
Or make other security changes to your account after Access Token setup; it will be deactivated automatically, and you will need to redo the connection process.
You can find the Access Token Tool here: https://smashballoon.com/instagram-feed/token/
1. Click the Connect Account button.
2. At the pop-up, select the type of Instagram account you are connecting in the top right. This does not depend on your actual business, but on whether you have set up a Business Profile on Instagram. You can find out how to connect as a Business Profile here.
The options are ‘Personal Profile’, and ‘Business Profile’. Pick the one you have set up. The type of content available in the feeds will depend on the type of account you select; if you need more information about what is available for each type of connection, check this link.
To continue and generate a new Access Token, click the Connect button.
Below you can find detailed steps on how to continue depending on the source type you selected:
1. When connecting a Personal Profile, if it is your first time connecting to our app, ensure you allow both permissions asked for, else the Access Token will not work. Then click Allow. If you have previously connected to our app, click Allow.
If you have any issues with the Access Token not working when you have previously connected to our app, click Don’t Allow, then remove our App from your Instagram Integration before attempting the connection again.
2. You will be redirected to our site. Save the Access Token and User ID; these can then be used to manually set up our plugin, or be sent to your Web Developer or Web Content Manager, who will set it up for you. Make sure to send the full information.
3. To connect your account to the plugin, navigate to Instagram Feed > Settings > Manage Sources > Click the “+ Add Source” button > Click the “Add Account Manually” button and enter the Access Token and User ID you copied in the previous step.
1. After selecting the Business Profile option, you’ll be redirected to a Facebook page; if you have previously connected to Smash Balloon WordPress, click Edit Settings; if this is your first time connecting to our app, click Continue as [your name].
2. On the next page, you will be asked which Instagram Business accounts you want to use with our app. We recommend selecting all in this step to ensure the Access Token works, but it is not required. You can choose which specific account in the last step. Then press Next.
3. On the next page, you will be asked which page you want to connect. You should select all for the Access Token to work. You can choose which specific page in the last step. Then press Next.
4. You will then be asked which permissions to give the Smash Balloon Social app. All permissions are required for the Access Token to work with all features. These are only asked for since they are necessary to retrieve all information we use for our features. Should you choose to disable some, be aware, that some or all of our features may not work. Our App will not make any changes to your page, nor post anything, at any point. Make sure all are selected, then press Done.
5. Press OK; you will then be redirected to our site.
6. When back on our page, save the User ID and Access Token of the account you want to connect in the feed as shown below. These can then be used to manually set up our plugin, or be sent to your Web Developer or Web Content Manager that will set it up for you. Make sure to send the full information.
7. To connect your account to the plugin, navigate to Instagram Feed > Settings > Manage Sources > Click the “+ Add Source” button > Click the “Add Account Manually” button and enter the Access Token and User ID you copied in the previous step.
Should you have any questions about the process, feel free to contact our support.