Shortcodes are a powerful feature on WordPress that allows you to add dynamic content and functionality to your posts and pages. In some cases, you may want to embed a shortcode directly into your theme’s template files. This guide will show you how to do this using the
do_shortcode function on WordPress.
Before proceeding with this guide, make sure you have:
- A basic understanding of HTML, PHP, and the WordPress platform.
- Access to your WordPress theme files either through the WordPress admin dashboard or FTP.
Steps to Embed a Shortcode
1. Locate the Template File: Determine which theme template file you want to embed the shortcode into. Common template files include
footer.php, and custom template files.
2. Access Your Theme Files: If you have direct access to your server, use an FTP client like FileZilla to connect to your server and navigate to the theme folder located in
If you prefer working within the WordPress admin dashboard, go to Appearance > Theme Editor. From there, select the theme you want to edit and choose the appropriate template file from the list on the right.
3. Edit the Template File: Open the template file in a code editor. Identify the location in the file where you want to embed the shortcode. This is typically within the PHP tags
(<?php ... ?>) or in the HTML part of the template.
4. Embed the Shortcode: To embed a shortcode directly, use the
do_shortcode function in PHP. For example, if you want to embed the TikTok feed shortcode, use the following code:
<?php echo do_shortcode('[[tiktok-feed feed=1]]'); ?>
5. Save the File: After embedding the shortcode, save the changes to the template file.
6. Test the Page: Visit the page or post where the template file is applied to check if the shortcode is functioning as expected.
- Always make a backup of your theme files before making any changes to them, in case you need to revert to the original version.
- Be cautious when using shortcodes in theme templates, as it may affect the layout and performance of your site. Make sure it fits seamlessly with your design.
- If you encounter any issues or errors, review your code for syntax errors or check if the shortcode is properly registered.