WordPress Technical Support
We’re looking to hire an awesome, motivated, technical support person to help provide email support to the lovely users of our WordPress plugins! The position would start at about 20-25 hours per week on average with the opportunity to grow into a larger role if it’s a good fit. You must be based in the USA to apply.
What is Smash Balloon?
We’re a WordPress plugin development company, specializing in creating kick-ass social media plugins and providing mind-blowing support to our users. We currently have three plugins which have over 650,000 active installations combined and a 5-star review average:
We’re currently a three-man team based in Minnesota, USA. You can find out more about us here.
What would you be doing?
You’d be on the front-line providing one-on-one email support to many of our users, working within our email helpdesk to respond to support tickets and inquiries as needed. All of us at the company work within customer support to some capacity and so you’d be joining us to help provide the best support experience possible to our users.
Some day to day tasks would include;
- Responding to user support tickets in a timely manner
- Helping to answer questions or troubleshoot issues users have with one of our plugins
- Providing high-level advice to users on how to set up and customize a plugin
- Providing or creating basic code snippets to help users achieve minor customizations
- Identifying possible bugs or conflicts in the plugin
- Updating and maintaining plugin documentation when needed
There are also plenty of opportunities to get involved in other parts of the business if you have an interest in doing so. Working on developing parts of the website, doing custom development work for customers, or even getting involved in the development of new or existing plugins.
Who are we looking for?
Customer support is at the heart of everything we do here at Smash Balloon and we take pride in providing quick, friendly, and effective support to our users. We’re looking for someone who enjoys helping to solve problems and embodies our customer-focused values;
- Positivity – Is your cup always half empty? If so, this isn’t the job for you. We try to exude positivity through interactions with our users and are looking for someone who is positive, friendly, helpful, and willing to go that extra mile to keep our users happy.
- “Can do” attitude – We’re looking for someone who is resourceful, able to absorb information, and have the determination to figure things out.
- Attention to detail – We try to diagnose and solve problems as efficiently and effectively as possible and attention to detail is an important component of that.
- Motivated – We’re looking for someone who is motivated to both help our users and to improve and excel in their role. We’re looking for someone who takes pride in helping others and in representing our company.
- Excellent communicator – Clear and concise communication is key in providing effective customer support, so we’re looking for someone who speaks English as their first language and is able to write in a clear, friendly, and accurate manner.
- High ethical standard – We conduct business in the same way that we would like to be treated, and have a strong reputation as an ethical and honest company. We expect our team to be honest, patient, polite, and kind, in all aspects of their role, whether dealing with customers or with other members of the team.
As the role is for providing technical support for WordPress plugins then you’d need to be comfortable working with WordPress and front-end web development languages. If your technical skills aren’t very advanced then we’d still consider you, as it’s possible to improve on the job, but the more advanced your technical skills are the better, and the more valuable you’ll be to us right out of the gate.
Ideally we’re looking for someone who;
- Has strong experience with the WordPress platform and understands how it works
- Has experience using Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, and understands how they work
- Experience using our plugins and customizing them to fit your needs
- You have some experience with custom WordPress development, and/or building your own theme or plugins
- You have experience working with the Facebook Graph API
- You have previous experience providing support for web-based products/plugins, and/or have an active track record in the WordPress.org community
What’s in it for you?
The actual working hours are flexible, and we’re open to discussing what works best for you, but the ideal situation for us is someone who has a flexible schedule and could split the hours up over the day into smaller chunks. It would also be a bonus if you’re available to check in for an hour or two over the weekend to respond to a few support requests that come in. We don’t micromanage your hours, so long as support requests are being responded to in a timely manner then you can check in and out as you please.
Work from home
We’re an entirely online business and so all of our team work from the comfort of their own home. We are based in Minnesota, USA, and so it would be ideal if you were located here so that we’re all in the same timezone and can get together occasionally. Having said that, we will also consider applicants in other parts of the US if they are a good fit.
Starting pay for this position is between $20-25/hour depending on experience, with performance-based raises and bonuses available on an ongoing basis. Obviously the more value you’re able to provide to the company the more we’re able to pay you.
Opportunities to learn
If you’re interested in learning how an online business works or want to improve your web development skills then there’ll be plenty of opportunities to learn on the job.
Be part of a growing company
We’re small, but growing fast, and if you’re a good fit then there’s plenty of opportunity to become more heavily involved in the business as it grows.
I’m the right person for the job!
Great – we’re excited to hear from you! To apply just fill in the form below.